Swartz Creek Area Fire Dept
8100 Civic Dr Ste B
Swartz Creek, MI 48473
2. Controls and extinguishes fires, protects life and property, and maintains equipment as on-call firefighter and/or officer.
3. Selects hose nozzle, depending on type of fire, and directs stream of water or chemicals onto fire. Positions and climbs ladders to gain access to upper levels of building or to assist individuals from burning structure. Creates openings in buildings for ventilation or entrance, using axes, chisel, crowbar, various saws, and other power equipment.
4. Protects property from water and smoke by use of waterproof salvage covers, smoke ejectors, ventilation fans, etc.
5. Communicates with superiors during fire, using portable two-way radio.
6. Performs assigned duties in maintaining apparatus, station areas, buildings, and equipment.
7. Participates in business meetings, training sessions, demonstrations, and courses in hydraulics, pump operation and maintenance, and various fire fighting techniques.
8. May drive and operate fire fighting vehicles, apparatus, and equipment after passage of department annual driver training course.
9. Shall perform all duties on the fire ground under the supervision of an officer or senior firefighter.
10. Shall perform their duties under the supervision of the officer in charge while at the station.
11. Shall promptly respond to all alarms (when available) or other emergencies, and shall assist one another when executing the orders of superior officers.
12. When on standby shall remain in the area assigned until properly relieved.
13. Shall be responsible for becoming familiar with all department By-Laws, Rules, Regulations, Policies, Standard Operating Guidelines, and Practices.
14. May be a member of the Genesee County Hazardous Materials (HazMat) Team provided the following stipulations have been met:
a. Firefighters shall be an employee in good standing, to join and remain a HazMat Team member. The firefighter shall not use the HazMat Team as an excuse to not perform their duties or not attend the minimum alarms or training sessions.
b. If a new member, that person shall make application, through the Fire Chief, to the current HazMat Team Supervisor, and shall be subjected to the interview process without influence by the SCAFD. Previous members of the HazMat Team, while they were on another fire department, shall declare their intentions in writing to the Fire Chief. Regardless of status, a written advisement from the HazMat Supervisor shall be made to the Fire Chief indicating acceptance or denial to the HazMat Team.
c. Firefighters shall be required to meet all the HazMat Team requirements stipulated.
d. Friefighters shall be paid the hourly rate, normally paid as a SCAFD employee.
e. Firefighters will not be allowed to be paid for both the HazMat Team and as a SCAFD employee for the same incident. The priority shall be declared by the firefighter at the time of incident.
15. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the firefighter/officer. The firefighter/officer is required to follow all other instructions and to perform any other duties assigned by the Chief.
Volunteer Category: Firefighter