Always searching for new Volunteers
Dedham-Lucerne Vol Fire Dept
8 Bald Mountain Road
Dedham, ME 04429
This is skilled firefighting work in the prevention and suppression of fires; and performs related duties as required.
Work involves the protection of life and property through firefighting, fire prevention, and emergency medical care activities; some of which may require strenuous physical exertion under such conditions as smoke, fire, heat, and cramped quarters. Work includes direct participation and continual training in firefighting and rescue work, fire protection inspection, equipment operation, and routine maintenance of equipment apparatus and of fire stations and grounds. Work is directly supervised by a department officer and is regularly reviewed through observations, inspections of work in progress, results obtained, and work performance evaluations.
Works under direct supervision of Fire Lieutenant and utilizing the appropriate chain of command.
• Successfully pass pre-employment physical and screening.
• Successfully pass periodic/annual physical and screening, (by age category).
• Utilizes the chain of command appropriately.
• Responds to alarms of fire or other emergencies.
• Operates fire apparatus as trained by departmental officer.
• Lays and connects hose, directs water streams, raises and climbs ladders, uses extinguishers, bars, hooks, lines, and other equipment.
• Ventilates burning buildings, removes persons from danger, and performs salvage operations.
• Participates in fire drills and attends classes on fire fighting, fire prevention, rescue, medical care, equipment maintenance, and related subjects.
• Administers emergency medical care and assists EMS personnel, as needed, up to their level of training.
• Learns coverage area to ensure thorough knowledge of all streets, roads, and buildings.
• Has knowledge and full understanding of response Standard Operating Guidelines and district assignments.
• Inspects and makes repairs to dry hydrants.
• Performs maintenance work on Fire Department equipment, furnishings, and structures.
• Performs other duties as assigned
May be assigned to act as a Pump Operator in the absence of a Pump Operator.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Graduation from high school or equivalent. Ability to read, write, and speak the English language.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATE
• American Heart Association CPR Certification.
• Graduation from an accredited basic fire academy and/or certification by the State of Maine as a Fire Fighter I-II preferred, but not necessary.
• EMS license is encouraged.
• Individual must possess a valid Maine Driver's License at time of appointment. Revocation of license during employment may result in disciplinary action, including the possibility of termination, or reassignment.
RREQUISITE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL LEVELS
Some knowledge of the street system and layout of the town.
• Ability to learn a variety of firefighting duties, methods and techniques.
• Ability to learn the use of tools and equipment used in fighting fires.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to react quickly in emergency situations.
• Able to climb ladders and work at considerable heights.
• Perform limited mechanical work involved in maintaining firefighting and rescue equipment and tools.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public.
• Ability to function effectively in physically demanding and sometimes adverse conditions such as heat, smoke, fire, and cramped quarters.
PHYSICAL TASKS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
• Essential duties require the following physical tasks and environmental conditions:
• Ability to sit, stand, walk, reach, bend, turn, twist, grasp, push, pull, carry.
• Operate a computer keyboard, and lift files and reports from desk tops or file drawers.
• Safely operate a motor vehicle.
• Infrequent exposure to temperature fluctuations, water, sun, noise (fire alarms, sirens, power tools), vibrations, and elements (smoke, dust, soot, gases).
• Must be able to life and carry 70 pounds.
These functions may not be present in all positions in this class. When a position is to be filled, the essential functions will be noted in the announcement of position availability. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
Volunteer Category: Firefighter, EMT, Fundraising, Community Education, Department Support